Job Title: Journeyman Meat Cutter
Department: Meat and Seafood
Reports To: Department Supervisor and/or Department Manager
Job Summary – The position will be responsible for in-store activities within the Department, including providing assistance to the Department Supervisor and/or Manager by maintaining, preparing and presenting merchandise. The position will be responsible for providing quality customer service in a safe and healthy environment. Position must also observe all store and company policies; while maintaining a neat, well-groomed personal appearance.
- Provide all customers with prompt, courteous and friendly service.
- Maintain knowledge of different types of meat and seafood products with the ability to make suggestions and sell to customers.
- Cut meat in accordance with USDA standards.
- Cut all meats and related products processed in the Meat & Seafood Department.
- Set service case with beef, pork, lamb, veal, and fresh sausage items.
- Ensure that all meat cuts are properly trimmed and attractively presented following
- Trim policies for all retail cuts.
- Prepare orders from customers for special meat and seafood orders in a timely manner.
- Weigh and break down meat products.
- Takes products to refrigerated storage or shelf areas, and stores at proper temperature.
- Code-dates and rotates all merchandise to ensure quality and freshness.
- Follow all department inventory control procedures.
- Always maintain an organized and clean work area.
- Always show interest and willingness to learn the industry.
- Guide Apprentices, and Frozen cutters as needed in their development
- Ability to read, comprehend, write, and speak English. Ability to perform basic Math.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated. Exhibit attention to detail and commitment.
- Positive interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in largely diverse teams.
- Ability to work early and varied hours/days as store dictates. Ability to lift to 751bs and to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work in consistently cold temperatures of below 50 degrees. Ability to timely multitask while working in fast-paced environment.
- Company will provide certification for the Complete Basic Food & Hygiene certification. Proven knowledge of USDA cutting techniques.
- 2-3 years retail cutting experience in a high-volume environment.
- Cuts for maximum profit and efficiency required for departmental productivity expectation.
When starting with Foster’s Food Fair, Ltd. as a Journeyman Meat Cutter, you’ll start earning CI$15.10 to CI$20.79 per hour based on experience. As you progress with the company within this role, opportunities for a pay increase will be determined through annual evaluations.
Application submission deadline: September 24th, 2023